
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
My Man Mitt

Recently Mason got a call from on old intern friend of his from DC asking if he knew anyone in the Elko area who could volunteer to help out for an upcoming Mitt Romney visit. Mason, of course, said his dear wife would love to (he knew I would kill him if he didn't). So for a week I have been making calls and coordinating. Then the day before his visit, the campaign guy called and asked if I would be willing to do a BORING Job......sit in the holding room with the Governor and make sure people don't come in and bother him. I almost wet my pants. It was a lot of fun! Governor Romney spent most of the time giving press interviews, but it was cool just to watch. Mason came and watched the event (with all the regular people, not in the back with the special people like me!) Romney told a great story about a boy scout troop who bought a flag and sent it to their state capital and the capital building in DC to have it flown. It was so special to them and then they got the wild idea to send it to space. Miraculously NASA agreed! They watched the shuttle take off with their flag and were so excited....right until the shuttle exploded. It was the Challenger shuttle in 1986. The scout leader called every week for several months to see if they had found a piece of their flag, but never had any luck. Then about a year after the explosion, he found out they had found something. The whole troop went to NASA to be presented with something. It was in a water tight canister and when they opened it up to see what was left, they found their whole flag completely intact!! I thought it was a great story!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I don't know how I missed this post until now, but that's so cool! What an awesome experience. Who knew that could happen in Elko?
Lucky!
Post a Comment