
A while back I decided to take Miley to the dentist. When she was younger we had to give her iron drops and it left dark spots on her two front teeth. They were supposed to fade, but hadn't. I finally decided the dentist was our best option. When we got there he discovered that Miley had several cavities. Way more than most two-year-olds. They were also in weird places, not just in-between teeth like normal. Of course, I felt like a horrible mother until he asked if she had ever had high fevers. Well we told him that she had basically had really high fevers her whole first year because of her vesicoureteral reflux (VUR). He then explained that if people have bad fevers while their teeth are developing, the teeth will get weak spots. That is what happened to Miley. So we made an appointment with a pediatric dentist at Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City. After our vacation, Mason came back to Elko to work and I stayed in SLC with the two girls by myself (totally stupid move). Tuesday, July 15th we went to the appointment. They did a quick look and told us that the next day they would be doing surgery to fix the cavities and possibly a root canal. They take little kids into an operating room sometimes so they can give them anesthesia and then its easier to do the work.
So the next day was a nightmare for me. I know its just teeth, but I was still freaked out. I had to drag both kids to the hospital by myself at 6 am. They gave Miley something to drink to knock her out and then laid her in a wagon. As they were pulling her away I was told I wouldn't be able to see her after surgery because I had Marley with me, and kids weren't allowed in the recovery room. Well I was already tired and stressed and that information sent me over the edge. I called my cousin bawling. My cousin was very sick and very pregnant but she drove all the way from Bountiful to come get Marley. I then went and sat in the parents waiting room. I watched as doctors came in and told the parents their child was okay. After about an hour my doctor came in and said, "Would you mind coming into a private consultation room with me?". I almost started to cry again. It turns out though that she just likes to talk to parents in private. Miley had done great, she just didn't like to talk in front of others, like all the other doctors. It took Miley awhile to come out of it, but she didn't have any side effects from the anesthesia like they thought she would. She did super! And I am so glad it is over!
No comments:
Post a Comment