
A couple of weeks ago I finished the first book that I have had the chance to sit down and read in quite some time. A few months ago when this book was first released I told myself that I really needed to read this book. I spoke to a friend of mine in DC about the book and it came highly recommended. Well I finally put my feet to the fire and read the book myself.
Let me just preface my comments by saying that I was already an admirer of Clarence Thomas, and already considered him to be one of my favorite Justices on the high court. However, after reading this book my esteem for him has increased, and I have come to view him in a much more informed light.
Clarence Thomas grew up in rural Georgia, born to a single mother, and ultimately raised for most of his life by his grandfather, Myers Anderson, and his step-grandmother. Myers taught Clarence discipline, hard-work, the value of education, and sheltered Clarence from the negative influences of urban Savannah. Myers also taught Clarence the value of a man's word, and held Clarence to his commitments - even kicking Clarence out of his home when he failed to follow through on his commitment to attend the seminary and become a priest.
The book details Clarence's journey from rural poverty and urban squalor to an eventual position on the high court. It also details his relationship with Anita Hill, a mediocre employee that Clarence had originally hired to work for him at the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights, who had ridden the coattails of Clarence's rise in influence and followed him to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and then put the dagger in his back in a moment of opportunism.
I highly recommend this book to all - even those with no interest in the law or the courts. It details certain virtues that were once held as paramount in American life - and have fallen to almost mere afterthoughts, products of a bygone era.
There was also a neat piece that was released on 60 Minutes when the book was released. It talks about the book and has an extended interview with Justice Thomas. I highly recommend that you watch this piece as well. I have posted the three video segments below.
No comments:
Post a Comment