Sunday, April 27, 2008

Ward Talent Show - Miley the Diva & Mason as Elvis

Well last night our ward held its annual "Ward Talent Show." It featured the standard fare of piano, violin, clarinet, flute and guitar pieces. We also had some unique Elko talents...including a demonstration of Elk calling by Scott N. and his son Cody.

At one point during the show an older sister with a poodle skirt from the ward got up to play a Glen Miller piece on the piano. We were seated on the front row of metal chairs in the gym. Miley, being the little diva that she is, decided to go up and stand in front of the crowd and start dancing to the music. I think the crowd was more entertained by the dancing than the piano.



Some of you may not be aware of the fact that I a mean karaoke singer. I pride myself on belting out some pretty crazy Elvis, Willie Nelson, Billy Joel and Elton John tunes. During a lull in the performances it didn't take much coaxing from the MC to get me to jump into the mix. I sang the famous Elvis hit "In the Ghetto."

How do you think I compare with the "real deal"? I think if I had a jumpsuit, some gold chains, and bit more chest hair than I can boast...I would have been pretty close. (wink, wink)



The talent show closed with a performance by a band made up exclusively of members of our ward, with the exception of the lead singer being from another ward in the stake. The band was called "Beauty and the Beasts," although someone joked that maybe they should be called "Chip and the Stoners." The band featured Courtney W. on lead vocals, Greg B. on sax, Brandon S., Doug S. and Richard T. on guitars, Chip S. on drums and back-up vocals, and Chelsea N. on the keyboard. They were actually quite impressive. Richard's grandson, Spencer, came up and stood by his grandfather and played a toy guitar. Like grandfather, like grandson I guess...it was really cute.




On the night it was all a lot of clean family fun. Andy M. invited Roger S. from the Public Defender's Office to attend and he had a fun time goofing around with Andy's son Nikolas during the events. Bishop Esplin's neighbors also attended and I realized that his neighbor's wife is a student in my political science class at the college. Small world, especially in Elko. I guess my karaoke secret is out.

No comments: