Sunday, June 8, 2008

Beware of "Brewer's Blackbirds"...

Our yard is home to a small flock of birds. I have done some research and figured out that these birds are a species known as "Brewer's Blackbirds." Pictured below is a picture of a male and a female "Brewer's Blackbird."

Male Brewer's Blackbird

Female Brewer's Blackbird

On Saturday as we were pulling into our driveway after returning from lunch, we noticed a baby bird sitting by the driveway. The bird looked like maybe it had fallen out of a nest. A foot or so away sat the mother bird attempting to feed and watch over the small bird. A couple of hours later, I decided to walk around the driveway to see if the baby bird was still there. It was, so I walked towards it to see if it was all right. As I got within 3 feet or so of the bird, an adult blackbird at the top of a neighboring tree decided that my approach was unacceptable and decided to dive-bomb me from the top of the tree. The bird didn't actually hit me, but repeatedly swooped down within a couple inches of my head. I of course immediately headed for cover. As soon as bird #1 dive-bombed, all of his bird compatriots decided to join in the fun and also made me run for my life. This would be fine and dandy if this was the only time that this happened. Ever since this happened the birds have decided that I am "persona non grata," "public enemy number 1," etc. Yesterday we went for a walk around the block with the kids in our red wagon. Our dog, "Mister Rambo" decided to chase after the baby bird. This of course set off the birds, and another attack ensued on the entire family. We of course ran for our lives.

While doing some research on this bizarre phenomenon, I stumbled across an article describing a similar behavior taking place with these birds in San Luis Obispo, California. Kind of scary! We hardly dare go out into our yard at the moment.

5 comments:

mini-wheats said...

dude, sounds like "the raven" by Edgar Allen Poe. Those birds are crazy....i never want to walk you dog again. unless of course there is a bonus now due to those pesky birds!!!!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Can you get a video and post it? I need to see this

Diana said...

I would pay money to see that!! I have always had a fear of birds attacking me!! Yikes!

Unknown said...

Crazy! Birds are seeming more like planned attackers than pleasant singers! :)